Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tidying up

No picking today, unless you count collecting some seed pods from the sweet peas. Just some tidying up. It was gorgeous and sunny again but noticeably colder. It's 14 degrees right now, so it was probably a bit higher than that, but not much.

At this time of year I feel more in control of the allotment. I don't know that I actually want to be in control of it but in the main growing season I often feel as though it's in control of me. Everything grows too fast for me to do the right thing at the right time, whether it's pinching out tomatoes or getting to the bindweed before it envelops the fruit cage. Now that everything's slowed down again, it's hit the speed I can work at to keep it all ticking over nicely.

I've started weeding the beds as I pull out the dead and dying summer crops. When that's done I shall put in some green manure, a rye grass that can be planted over the winter. There's a fair bit of clearing up to do before I can sow it though.

My fanciful ideas last time about romantic assignations on the bench were squashed by J who said that he'd probably moved it while he was strimming. How very prosaic.

Happy gardening

No comments: