Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hic!


What do you grow on yours?
Me - I'm growing a small forest of beer bottles. As I've said before, I've had my allotment for many years now and although I very rarely drink any beer while I'm there, somebody has, because I never run out of bottles when I want to put one on top of a cane. I blame the mice in the shed. It can't be J, surely?

Bottles on top of canes are a good idea because I am exactly the sort of person who's going to get a cane in her eye whilst bending down to ground level.

I've noticed that the surrounding allotments have an interesting variety of cane tops. Some people have used tennis balls that have lost their bounce, one allotment is a sea of plastic milk bottles and the posh people with the greenhouse have even bought specially designed rubber things to stick on theirs. I prefer the "recycling" approach and try not to buy specially made bits and pieces if I can make them.

Still, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Happy (careful) gardening

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nicky,
Your allotment blog is an entertaining read. We too have varities of cane toppers. I will make a point of taking more notice of the ones my fellow lotty's use next time I visit!
Keep up the good work.
Ali

Nicky said...

Hi Ali

Glad you're enjoying reading the blog. I've just looked at yours and it's looking very productive on your allotment too. I like the scarecrow!

Best wishes
Nicky