Monday, October 29, 2007

Planting raspberries


Ooh me back! I've just had a hot bath and I'm still almost bent double!

I took out the runner beans, dismantled the poles and dumped all the greenery onto the compost (leaving the roots in the soil to fix nitrogen). Then I dug it all over and added masses of compost before digging three trenches for my new raspberry canes. I really, really hope they take. I've had bad luck with my summer raspberries so I'm hoping these autumn ones will be more resistant to diseases and bugs. We all love raspberries and they are always dreadfully expensive in the shops so I wouldn't buy them if I didn't grow them. This year we hardly had any.

So, here's hoping....
Happy gardening

2 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I need to replant some raspberries to replace the ones we planted last year that didn't take. I don't want to depress you - some of them took and some didn't. I'm sure yours will be fine.

Nicky said...

Yes, these are a further attempt. I'm always hopeful and hey - they were free so it's worth having a go!

I meant to let you know that the butternuts were good in the end. I guess some things take and some don't. What's your soil like? Mine's a bit on the heavy side. (Euphemism for thick unrelenting clay!)
Best wishes
Nicky