Saturday, August 11, 2007


It's Balloon Fiesta weekend so we're really busy. The weather so far has been fantastic for flying and for spectating and our balloon has been flying every morning and evening. J's camping at the Fiesta site but I'm such a wimp that I came home last night and spent a comfortable night in my own bed and had the pleasure of a refreshing shower. (I do so hate festival toilets, and what's more, there didn't seem to be any running water )

So, last night I picked huge amounts of beans, french and runners and courgettes (anybody want any courgettes?) with about a hundred and twenty balloons trooping across the sky in front of me. Most of my photos were crummy though. I think the balloons were just that little bit too far away to look good but this morning was quite different!

I saw the balloons from the house first thing as I was opening the curtains but we live in a dip and the nearest high ground is at the allotment so I shoved on any old clothes (hoping I didn't see anyone I know!) and ran up the road with the camera. They were really close this time, I couldn't see ours but I took photos of the nearest ones. The photo in the blog today is taken from the path between the huts and the balloon's advertising is for Cameron Balloons, based in Bristol. They were so close I could hear the people in the basket talking in the silence between burns.

I spent quite a bit of time chasing about this morning with my camera. Balloons continued taking off until much later and the light breeze kept the balloons drifting over Bishopston so I kept seeing more pop up unexpectedly between the houses or hearing burners from hidden balloons after I thought they'd all gone.

It's late morning as I write this and I now have to go and get some supplies for a barbeque for later on this afternoon. We'll have it early before this evening's flight and this evening I intend to brave the tent and the festival toilets again for another night,
Happy gardening (and ballooning)

No comments: