Sunday, July 8, 2007

Flypast

Mmm bliss. We've finally had a bit of summer. The weekend's been great, the sky's been blue, the wind's dropped a bit and a weird bright thing started shining in the sky. I couldn't remember what it was when it first appeared but we've really enjoyed it beaming down on us. I may even get a tan!
I wish I'd had the camera with me though, I had a close encounter with a sleepy fox who was very unfazed by me as I crashed around in the undergrowth of an untended allotment looking for raspberries. He stood up and looked at me, no further than a few feet away, and decided that I was no threat so he curled up again and closed his eyes. He was an adult fox, not the young one I've been looking for, so I think he's learned that the people he meets on the allotments are not going to chase him away. I have seen the young one now though, a few days ago. As I was leaving, a slim young adolescent fox streaked across in front of me and made for the woods. I didn't get a close look but he was a fine looking young animal. Some of the older ones get mange and their tails lose that bushy, foxy quality that is so very appealing.
I also wish I'd had the camera yesterday evening when, as we were coming towards the end of a lovely day, there was a loud thundering roar of engines and we looked up to see an amazing sight. A wartime flypast of a Lancaster bomber, a Hurricane and a Spitfire, flying in tight formation over the allotments, seemingly just for us! J says it was the Battle of Britain memorial flypast. They went round twice, not quite so low the second time but we still had a ringside seat. Fantastic. And not recorded on the camera. Shame!

No comments: